Tuesday 17 August 2010

Tomorrow is the hanging

Gruesome!

This is seriously exciting. Tomorrow Hazel and I have the privilege of putting up 24 pieces of very interesting artwork. About 18 will go in the main exhibition space and six in the foyer. I cannot wait to see this stuff fully displayed. It is very hard to appreciate in cramped quarters. The exhibit opens formally on August 23 -- next Monday. The private evening viewing is September 30. Will you be there?

A little vignette:

"Is that your art?", my neighbour asked tonight, seeing the various works piling up along the staircase landing. With some reluctance, I had to say, "No -- it's not mine. It's a friend's."

"Oh. Anyway, I felt a lot of excitement when I looked at it," my neighbour said. "There's something about it. Somewhat abstract but somewhat impressionist."

And that's what I see in Carlos' paintings. The artwork is not for everyone. Indeed, my neighbour saw only the most abstract pieces. But it is not about pleasing the viewer. Some of the artwork is frankly challenging. But there is something in it. There is something you can recognise. To which you'll say: "Yes. It's doing something for me." What is does for each of us is undoubtedly different.

I've already written about Rancho. It's a big, beefy painting. It is the signature painting for this exhibition. You can have a look here. There are other paintings about which I want to gush. The obvious ones are Homage to El Greco and AƱos Luz Azul. Regrettably, I lack high-resolution images of each. Instead, you can see them at this humongous online exhibition.

What I would like to write about tonight is two other paintings: Sombra (which is the painter's self-portrait) and 'A' (which used to be called 'Botella A', on which more in a minute). The trouble is that I do not have the high-resolution images. Never mind. One of these is very likely to be selected as the most visible artwork in the exhibit. I.e. the one you see first as you walk in. Here's Botella A, or "A" as it's been renamed, and in a low-res version. Sorry.

No comments:

Post a Comment